April 17, 2013

Manga - Liar Game ライアーゲーム (シボブカイタニ)

Right after Monster, I craved for another dose of psychological manga; thus led me to Liar Game.



Kanzaki Nao is an awfully honest girl who got randomly chosen as a participant in the Liar Game, of course as the name implies, a game where you lie to win. During the first round of the game, her opponent was her favorite school teacher but she ended up being deceived. Not knowing what to do, she sought the help of Akiyama Shinichi, an ex-convict who recently been released in prison. Akiyama was reluctant at first but decided to help her eventually. He helped Kanzaki win the game but instead of claiming the prize money, Kanzaki gave everything to her opponent. When she thought the game was over, she was forced to move on to the second round. Akiyama joins in as he wants to unveil the real reason behind the Liar Game.


It took me three weeks to finish this manga since I only have time when I want to and when I'm early at work. From the beginning until the end, I am pretty much pissed on Kanzaki Nao. Maybe first and foremost, I really dislike girl protagonists (with a reason I don't know). Anyways, of course I am inclined to Akiyama Shinichi's character because that's exactly what I like in a guy: silent, mysterious and dangerous. LOL. Plus, I like how he turns tables in every game.

I'll just summarize what I like and dislike about the manga for easy reference! ;)

YAAAYY! ERRRM...
  • Akiyama Shinichi 

  • Knowledge on the usual MLM scams 

  • Unexpected twists and turns that will make you lose your head 

  • Other twisted minds namely Yokoya, Fukunaga and Harimoto (I love how they come up with damn mind-blowing ideas) 

  • The physical appearance of the LGT Officers, in short the masks

  • Psychological wars, out-of-this-world strategies 
  •  
  • The quotes
  • Kanzaki Nao 

  • It's ongoing status (LOL) 

I feel like I'm a villain here since I do not consider Nao's growth throughout the manga. But on a lighter note, she has really something that can move all the players.

Verdict



Awesome manga! Hats off to Shinobu-sensei! The course of events are unpredictable which makes the tension rise especially when all those twisted-minded characters engage in the battle of wits. However, the series is still ongoing so I have to wait like the others who patiently wait for Naruto and Bleach. Liar Game is definitely worth reading especially if you want your mind blown in the most awesome way!


(Photos are not mine. Credits to their rightful owners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment