December 14, 2010

The DownloadFest and the Afternoon Nostalgia

I was absent for the first time on my OJT today. PUP DownloadFest, an event organized by iBITS, was launched today and we were required to attend. There were some conditions implied by the organization, so I had no choice but to attend. Goodbye additional 9 hours of training.

Donn sent me a text message yesterday asking me to help him apply for our graduation. I agreed although it will cost me my half day at work. I left the house at 9 AM, only to find out that I will be checking my Facebook account at my father's office for four hours. Donn wasn't able to apply because he haven't received his registration card and he is a speaker in the morning session of the seminar. Despite my disappointment, I just did check my Facebook account. I logged in also on Yahoo! Messenger and found my officemate, Kuya Rhage, online. He joked about my supervisor, Sir Ryan, looking for me, angry. I had my lunch at S307, lasagna and burger. Did I say I'm on a diet? Well, I'm telling now. I am on a diet and my breakfast was a single loaf of wheat bread.

By 1 PM, I went to the Bulwagang Balagtas at our school's library. I saw Michelle (my co-trainee at Blast Asia, Inc.), Mafe, Ashley and Mady heading out of the place. They will be eating their lunch so I went with them since I am not sure if I have acquaintances upstairs at the hall. They had their lunch at a gazebo near the Linear Park which gave me: (1) envy of eating the food and (2) nostalgic memories. It was almost 2PM when we returned to the library but as expected, the seminar didn't start on time.

The seminar topics were already common since it was tackled in the Technology Festival last semester. The appealing talks in the seminar were the ImagineCup and SharePoint. Ashley and I were motivated to join the ImagineCup 2011 and to prove that, we are now looking for teammates and started the conceptualization. SharePoint is something I looked forward to, but there was a factor missing when it was being discussed that's why it lessened my interest. Even after the seminar, I've been thinking why was it coined as the "PUP DownloadFest"? To give an overall score to the event, I'll give a 6 over 10. If only the event was planned properly and the possible risks were anticipated, it would've been better. No doubt about how informative the topics were, the topics were applicable to the audience. It's just that there was something missing, and I believe it's planning. That's what I learned in project management. No offense to the organizers who will read this post.

The seminar ended at 5 PM. My classmates, initiated by Michelle, discussed about our upcoming Christmas party this Saturday. I went to my father's office right after. Tita Masing offered me a merienda of Titanic, a big bread sold beside Puregold Altura. But since it's nearing 6 PM, I said thanks but refused the offer. Instead, I asked my father to allow me to buy that kind of bread for my "baon" at work tomorrow. He agreed.

While I was walking to the campus gate, I realized that every place at the campus has its own contribution to my nostalgia. I felt sad, bearing in mind the situation we are both in now. When we were lovers we're at loss, and that's the reason we went back to the basics, as strangers. After this account, I went back to the campus, not realizing both hands are holding two plastics of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment