December 6, 2012

The Gadget Story

I don't know if it's because I'm in a technology-oriented career that I have gained so much interest in gadgets. Back then, it was my mobile phone which I consider as the only gadget I own. It was not much back then since it is only used for calling, texting and free internet surfing via GPRS. But when I had my hands on an iPod Video last 2007 to which I call Ivysaur, my interest grew bigger.

Since Ivysaur, I convinced my dad to buy me a netbook, Aspire (because it is an Acer Aspire One), for my programming class in which I tweaked and optimized to my preferences. Thanks to my major, Information Technology. I am always into games so I bought a second-hand PSP to which I named NeoN-G as my Christmas present last 2010. Well, hello to PSP modding, I was able to play arcade and role-playing games even I'm in the van to the office where I had my on-the-job training. Then as a present for my graduation last 2011, I was given an iPod Touch 4G. By August of the same year, I bought an Olympus E-PL2 camera which I named Olee.

Now the yearning doesn't seem to fade. I wanted the apps, so I learned jailbreaking for RAIJIN, my iPod. I downloaded all the apps that suited my tastes like productivity, social, photography and of course, games. I also bought a new phone in December 2011, a Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini to experience the Android platform. The camera was superb. But my gadgets don't seem to last. Aspire died (the display malfunctioned), NeoN-G had a power failure and my Xperia Mini was having touch problems. So it was just RAIJIN and me. To make up for Aspire's loss, I bought Phoenix last April; an AMD-based desktop computer. I brought NeoN-G to a repair service but after a few weeks it malfunctioned again. Up to this time, it's still dead. As for my Xperia Mini, I sold it since I can't keep up with its problems and replaced it with a basic Nokia phone. For now, it is me, RAIJIN, Olee and Phoenix.

I still have needs though. I want to take pictures but I can't bring Olee along all the time. I want internet on the go but RAIJIN doesn't have a cellular capability for mobile internet. I want to update my social media accounts, but my phone is so basic. I found the answer for the internet and social media dilemmas with my Blackberry 9320. It was a plan under Globe Telecom and it has unlimited internet and a wifi hotspot. Undeniably, it sustained my needs. There's only one dilemma left: the camera. There's no solution up to now, but I guess I just have to bear bringing Olee along all the time.

The desire for new gadgets is still on fire. Especially now, when there are new releases that catch my eye. I guess I need to settle the budget and the need now since the list of wants is piling up fast. I plan on upgrading RAIJIN with the new Ipod Touch 5th Generation, buying a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for reading e-books, NFC and camera and getting a new Aspire One for a handy PC. I'm also having thoughts on an Asus Nexus 7 or an iPad Mini.

Oh well. These are all plans anyway. Let the budget talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment