March 3, 2012

SPIRE: Enable Siri on non-iPhone 4S Devices

To start the morning right, I decided to check my business ad in a group in Facebook. Luckily, it's still there. I browsed through the ads posted selling secondhand iPhones, Blackberry phones, laptops, etc. What caught my eye is a certain ad that says: "Selling iPhone 3GS iOS 5 with Siri." Did I read it right? I wondered if once you installed iOS 5, in which I did a month ago with a high unmitigated risk on my iPod Touch 4G, the device will also have a Siri capability. There was no Siri in mine, so I decided to ask Google about it.



It's true then. There is this Cydia package called Spire which is addressed as the legal Siri port for non-iPhone4S devices like iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 and iPad, even iPhone 3GS. With this list of devices, it clearly states that the device should be running on iOS 5. However, to make Siri work, you need a proxy server which is available only in iPhone 4S. Various "free proxies" are already around the net but most of them of course are scam and the working ones are paid. It is suggested though that if you own an iPhone 4S, you can share its authentication token to your other non-Siri devices. The catch is the token is regenerated every 24 hours.

If you are one of us who wants to experience Siri in our non-Siri devices, then I believe it is worth a try. Upon learning this new tweak, I'll definitely give you an update on how this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment